Martes, Pebrero 26, 2013

Coron: Escape to Paradise


There has been much buzz about Coron as of late. It is being touted as the Philippines’ next tourism wonder. Imagine my enthusiasm when I learned that I had the opportunity to find out for myself what the raving is all about. A day before the flight, I was a bit concerned because of the bad weather developing at the eastern side of the country. The skies were cloudy and there was a bit of rain; but come rain or shine, we were going to Coron.
D-day. It seemed that God made his countenance shine upon us. As we approached Palawan, the skies were clear and the sun was shining. I couldn’t be happier. Or so I thought.

Island Hopping
One of the main attractions of Coron is its island hopping experience. From Coron town proper, we took a boat going to Coron Island. The trip took around 20 minutes but I hardly noticed the time because of the spectacular seascape which greeted me.  I was captivated by the towering limestone structures that seem to have protruded out of the cerulean waters. The thick foliage and lush vegetation which covered the jagged mountains added to the grandeur of the landscape. I couldn’t help but bask in the majestic beauty of God’s handiwork which surrounded me. Once in a while, my excitement built up, so I had to let out a primal yell—to the amusement of my companions, of course.  But this was just the beginning.

Siete Pecados
Also known as the Islets of the Seven Sins, Siete Pecados was the first stop of our island hopping tour. Once the site came into full view, I took a long and deep breath and immersed myself in the beauty of the islets. I took some time to appreciate the exquisite surrounding and let the moment sink in. But as I went into the water and started snorkeling, a whole new world opened up to me. I was astounded by the underwater scenery. It was like peering into a very big aquarium, but much more beautiful—unlike anything I have ever seen. Immediately noticeable are the corals of various colors, shapes, and sizes.

Then there are the fishes which were happily swimming about. They swam towards me and swarmed at the morsel of cassava cake I was holding in my hand. The fishes tried to bite off pieces from the food I had in my hand. Occasionally, they’d bite my fingers but I was too amused by the interaction to even notice. It was definitely one of those times when I wish I brought an underwater camera along. I learned later on that disposable underwater cameras are available at local shops for Php 300. Nonetheless, I left the site feeling ecstatic.
Entrance: Php 100

Kayangan Lake
Getting to Kayangan Lake took a bit of effort because it required hiking on a steep terrain since it is located 250 feet above sea level. The rugged stone steps leading to the lake can get slippery, so care must be taken when climbing or descending. Good thing there are wooden handrails which can provide support should a misstep happen. About halfway into the climb, we got a picturesque view of the cove which serves as the entry point to Kayangan. This is where the most famous shot of Coron was taken.

I must admit, the hike got my heart rate going and I worked up a sweat. Once the lake came into full view, though, everything just faded away. No wonder Kayangan Lake is a Hall of Fame Awardee for the Cleanest and Greenest lake in the Philippines. The enchanting turquoise water was so inviting I had to take a dip. I did not bother wearing a life vest. The lake is quite deep, around 20 feet, but I could still see the bottom of the lake. The underwater limestone formations looked like an underwater city in a fantasy novel.

Entrance: Php 200

Barracuda Lake
As if the name doesn’t sound menacing enough, the sharp, jagged limestone structures surrounding the lake only added to the foreboding atmosphere of Barracuda lake. It is said that a large barracuda resides in the lake, adding to my trepidation. Once the lake revealed itself, I was overwhelmed by its almost mystic tranquility. Its teal waters beckoned, and I just couldn’t resist. Once in the water, I realized that this lake was much deeper since I couldn’t see the bottom. I learned later on that the lake had a depth of about 100 feet. The massive underwater limestone formations seemed like megalithic structures. The formations also hinted of caverns underneath. The awe-inspiring scene beneath Barracuda Lake’s waters only illustrates the magnitude and grandeur of nature’s beauty. No wonder this lake is such a popular diving site.

I swam towards a secluded area and took a few moments to take in as much as I can. The serenity which then enveloped my entire being was like that of an infant finding comfort in the bosom of its mother. This, to me, is a perfect setting to relax and maybe even ruminate on life’s most important questions.

Entrance: Php 200

Bainono Beach
On our way to Dicantuman Beach, we noticed a number of white beaches along Coron Island. Some are tucked in coves, slowly revealing their beauty as you approach them. This scenery only added to my eager anticipation. Once the beach came into sight, we could not hide our excitement. Our boat approached the shore very slowly to avoid collision with corals or rocks.

I took a few moments to enjoy the feeling of powdery white sand between my toes while gazing at the picturesque seascape. The towering limestone cliff, which was covered with lush vegetation, added to the spectacular beauty of the scene. After some swimming and walking around, we relaxed at the wooden cottages on the beach. As it turned out, we somehow ended up in Bainono Beach instead of Dicantuman Beach. Serendipitous or not, we were glad to have such a resplendent white beach all to ourselves that afternoon.

Maquinit Hot Spring
After a long day, nothing could be more welcome than a dip at Maquinit’s hot waters. Nestled among mangrove trees, Maquinit provides exhausted tourists a brief respite while enjoying the scenic view of the sea. Wooden walkways leading to a view deck provide a better look of the seascape.
Its waters, heated to about 38-40 degrees Celsius, spring from a dormant underground volcano. What differentiates Maquinit from other hot springs is that it is the only saltwater hot spring in the country. At first, the water seemed a little too hot for my liking. It took quite a while before I was able to fully immerse myself, but once I did and got accustomed to the temperature, I couldn’t get myself out of the water.

Open from 6am – 10pm
Roundtrip Tricycle Fee: Php 300.00
Entrance: Php 150.00

Zip Line
Situated alongside Lualhati Park and the wharf, the zip line’s towers stand 40 feet above the waters—high enough to test if one has a head for heights. I certainly did not have one as I got that tingling sensation once I reached the top of the tower. Nonetheless, I was very eager to give this ride a try. As I was being strapped to the harness, I took the time to enjoy the panoramic view of Coron and its stunning landscape.
When I stepped off the tower, I felt my adrenaline rushing and yelled out in excitement. The other tower seemed hundreds of feet away, yet I reached it in just a few seconds. Once I’m on the second tower, I was asked to climb to the top. The staff strapped me to the line once again. Awesome. The ride back was even more exciting. As the ride ended, I wanted to go on a couple more times. This activity is definitely not only for adrenaline junkies; even the faint of heart will find this ride enjoyable.

Escape to Paradise
Our 3-day stay was definitely not enough to experience all of Coron. There were so much more sights to see and things to do. That is probably why people keep on coming back to Coron. Some as often as every two months.
For those who have been aching to get out of the rat race and leave behind the drudgery of work, Coron is the perfect getaway. It is much like paradise welcoming weary souls with a warm embrace.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento